Has Your Spouse Been Arrested? How To Secure Their Release From Custody

If your spouse has been arrested, you don't want them to remain in jail any longer than they have to. That's why it's crucial that you arrange their release from custody as quickly as you can. Your spouse won't be able to do much from behind bars, which is why it will be your responsibility to secure their release. If this is your first experience with the criminal justice system, you'll need some help getting your spouse out of jail. Here's some information that will help get your spouse out of jail.

Request Release on Own Recognizance

Once your spouse has been arraigned on the charges, the judge will set bail. Depending on the charges that your spouse is facing, the judge may decide to release them on their own recognizance, which means without any bail. If the judge doesn't offer that type of release, it's important that your spouse request it. In some cases, the judge will either accept the request or reduce the amount of bail that's required. If your spouse is released on their own recognizance, you won't need to do anything besides wait for their release. However, if your spouse isn't offered an OR – own recognizance – release, you'll need to work to secure bail. There are a few ways you can do that.

Pay the Bail in Cash

Once bail is set, you can choose to pay the entire amount in cash. This option is often beneficial when the bail amount is set low or you can afford to pay the full amount. To pay in cash, you'll need to provide payment in full to the bail bond agent. Once payment in full has been provided, the bail bond agent will notify the courts, and your spouse will be released. 

Provide Collateral as Payment in Full

If you don't have cash for bail, but you do have other available assets, you can arrange to secure bail by providing collateral as payment in full. To do this, you must have enough real or personal property to cover the total cost of the bail. When providing collateral, you can have family and friends offer their own property as collateral. However, it's important to note that if your spouse fails to make all their court appearances, or attempts to flee, all collateral will be forfeited, which means anyone who provided collateral, will lose their property.

Arrange for a Bail Bond

If you're unable to provide cash or collateral in full, you'll need to arrange for a bail bond release. You can learn more about bail bonds at http://absolutebailbond.com/. One of the benefits of obtaining a bail bond is that you can use a combination of cash and collateral to secure your spouses release. Once the trial is over, you'll get all of your collateral back, as long as your spouse followed all the rules that were set forth when bail was granted.